Saturday 15 March 2014

On Methods


‘The scariest moment is always just before you start.’
                                                      - Stephen King, On Writing

This is one of many quotes from the masterpiece On Writing by Stephen King. It is a quote that can be related to by anybody writing a novel, a script or even an essay. In fact, you can relate it to whatever task you are performing in life.

Whenever we have a task set for us, or even one we set for ourselves, the genuinely scary moment is the prospect of starting. There’s always ‘after tea,’ or ‘after I play this song.’ Furthermore, we can only really start if we are in an environment that helps us. Some of us can only work if we are in the midst of load music and noise, while others need total silence. Location is also key. I can write pretty much anywhere, but some can only work at home, outside, at school etc.

Some of us can launch into a task without any preparation. For me I always need to plan, plan and plan. Whether I’m writing an essay or a script, I’ll plan it out so I know where it will go and how it will end. My planning is so detailed I may even have practically written the whole thing, but I never launch straight in. I need to know where I am going in terms of structure and content. If I don't, then it turns into the vomit equivalent of words and is a mess.

When a deadline is set, it does not really matter when it is done as long as it is by the time it is due.
I always start a piece of work when I get it, I never leave it to the last minute. One of my least favourite words is procrastination. Then again for some people, they need that last minute adrenalin in order to produce a work of art, which is fine. There is no right method. Though for people who do leave work to the last minute and still create something wonderful then good for you (Hell has a special place reserved for you.)

So for me when I write something I need to plan, write in any location as long as it is creative and never leave anything to the last minute. Plain and simple. Nevertheless, whatever your method is in life, just go for it. Whether you are writing a script, an essay or even preparing for an interview, as long as you know how well you work and what you do will get you where you want to be in life, you will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment